Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cancer Hurts

Unfortunately, ever since the surgeries to remove my lymph nodes, and since the cancer has spread to my lower, middle, and now upper spine and neck, I've started having various pains throughout my body. My left arm became numb and now swells from the removal of all the lymph nodes and two of my fingers (pinky and ring) don't work like they used to. And I have constant, dull pain, especially when it is hot or I move around or sleep on the arm. My back and neck are in constant pain, unless I am taking my meds.

More recently, especially over the last four to six months, the pain increased to the point, where I couldn't work any more. It was impossible to sit at a desk and work on a computer or sit through hours of meetings without having pretty severe pain. Up until then, at times, I was able to manage the pain to a certain extent with only pain meds. But the problem is that the amount of meds I have to take to manage the pain became a bit much and even then I still have quite a bit of pain. I've tried stretching, meditation, and some of the holistic approaches, but really the only thing that works in the heavy duty pain medications, which I can handle mentally to a certain extent, but they do make me sleepy, lethargic, and not as sharp as I used to be at work. The pain also makes me very irritable, which is something I am not used to. My nature has always been more layed back, but when you are dealing with 24/7 pain and not getting your eight hours a night sleep, you get pissy. I really feel sorry for Jen because she has to deal with it, but she has done a great job of not letting me get away with being a pain in the ass because of the effect of the meds and pain

More frustrating is that I haven’t been able to work out or ride my bike since I had the operations. I have slowly started some exercise again, but I have to be careful to pick the right exercise and timing so I don’t exacerbate the problem. I am a tremendous grouch when I am not working out, it has been such a part of who I am that not working out has had a profound effect on my attitude.

Last week (last week of May), I finally saw a pain specialist at UCLA with Jen. I think this was a smart move because we were able to get a professionals perspective on the level of pain meds I've been taking (I'm currently at the low end of the scale, which makes me feel better), the doctor also came up with some alternative products that we might want to start using if the existing cease to work. The doctor even recommended picking up exercise again. Since then, I've made a point of walking the dogs, or going to a couple spin classes with Jen, and just getting out and about as much as possible. It hasn't necessarily helped with the pain, but it has helped with making me more tired so I can fall asleep at night.

Some Good News?: Recently I noticed that my neck has a bit more flexibility without pain. I am hoping that the new chemo drug, Sutent, is having some effect on the mobility in my neck. We won't know for sure until we have our next round of scans and confirm that there is tumor change. I'm certainly hoping that is the case. As of today, I am on my fourth pill out of a twenty eight pill cycle. So, in three or so more weeks, we should have an idea of how well the new pills are working.

No comments:

Post a Comment